Monday, March 31, 2014

Red Beans & Rice with Homemade Cornbread

My mom made red beans and rice last night. She soaked the beans overnight and then added stock and ham hocks and sausage. She made the rice in a separate pot. It takes a long time, but it's so worth it. My grandfather was from Louisiana, so she learned a lot from her father about comfort food. This is one of my favorites and she had been craving it for a while since it's been raining where I live.

She also made homemade cornbread and honey butter. This is the best part of the whole meal. She once bought cornbread at the store and my dad and I looked at her like she didn't care about us.
Here's what my bowl looked like. I mix in my cornbread with the rice and beans and it tastes so good.

Thanks for reading!
xoxo,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment